Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Live From Hilton Head



Hey everyone! Sorry I've been MIA for a bit...or a week. Don't worry, I'm still here. I'm still around. Except, I'm just not home.

In the previous post, I mentioned plans to visit Hilton Head Island. Well, I'm here, but my extended family isn't here...any longer/yet. Okay, so that statement is probably a little confusing. Let me explain.

When we first got here, my cousin and her family along with some of our family friends from west Florida joined us. It was fun. They seemed to enjoy my "They say college helps you land a job, look what happened to me," joke. My cousin's daughter, Azalea, also expressed her feelings about going to college to be a nurse. Long story short, she doesn't want to be a nurse, but her parents are emphasizing the job security. (I probably serve as an example of what not to do.) I'll feel bad if she ends up studying to be a nurse and her heart's not it in. That's never fun.

Now the "yet" part of that statement. Well, while my family from Florida left the other day, there is possibility of some of my family from New Jersey driving down to join us for the rest of the week. It's silly, but certain members of my family from west Florida and New Jersey don't get along with one another. I've asked my Dad why and when he explained, I asked, "Are you serious? That's the reason they don't get along?" It's really all silly and a good bit of it is because of my uncle from New Jersey. I won't get into the details, but after a first-hand account of his abrasive judgement from the most ridiculous of reasons, I totally get it. And part of me hopes they decide not to drive down.

However, I won't focus on that! I'll focus on the salty sea a few yards from my door. Who doesn't love that? I'll focus on the chill that greets my cheeks when I step outside. I'll focus on having the beach to myself. I'll focus on getting to read my books in a different location.

Don't cue your own level of self-worth from other people's perception, opinions, views and labels.

Sincerely,

Cybill

No comments:

Post a Comment