Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Kefi Begets Kefi

Remember how I was all about the Kefi at the start of 2014? I was Kefi's biggest cheerleader. I defended the spirit like it was my good name. Well, we're about 22 days into 2014 and I'm going to need some hard core Kefi spirit next week.

For my Dad's birthday, my Mom has planned for us to spend some time on Hilton Head Island. She also invited a few family members to join us. That's cool. I'm totally okay and on board with this idea. Except, I'm not really totally okay and on board with this idea. I also don't think it'll be that cool. Why? Let me explain.

Chances are, someone will ask me about my life, whether it's my relationship status (or lack thereof), my job (or lack thereof) or my plan for my future (which they would probably conclude is an awful idea). I know it won't be that bad. I mean, they're family. They'll drive you nuts (because they're kind of nuts) but they'll love and support you no matter what. Except they won't, not 100% anyways. Out loud and in front of you, they'll put on a good face, but they'll fail. A small jab will slip. A small jab always slips.

Just the other day my Dad was on the phone talking about me and my brother, the engineer. After discussing our accomplishments, the voice on the phone (that's all I'm going to do to acknowledge her) replied, "Engineering. That's nice. That's good." Not a word of praise for my accomplishments. Not even a nod of acknowledgment. Thanks, voice on the phone, you're all too sweet. I might as well be Isobel Crawley and the world (especially the voice on the phone) the Dowager Countess.


It's like this a lot of the time, especially with my brother being a hot shot in Chicago. But I've taken the criticism with its grain of salt. You can't really hate people who only do things because they have to do them. They work because they need to make money to provide for themselves. They don't work because they actually enjoy what they're doing. You know, they're the type of people who do things to get somewhere else or to get something else. They can't be happy just because. It's a shame, really.

It is with this mindset (and a constant stream of self praise) that I'm going to take on any encounter. I'm going to use this as a means of power, because, heck, I'm pretty awesome. I may have to fake it a bit, but it's comes with the territory. One thing for sure, I'm not going to let their poor opinions of me get to me. I'm not going to let their labels of failure play any role in my life. I'm not going to let them defeat me, because frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. (Okay, so may be I give a little damn, but just you wait.) Besides, it's in poor taste to be a defeatist, just ask the Dowager Countess.


I should probably refer back to this pep talk-esque-blog post when the going gets rough. Perhaps, I should also look into making a daily affirmation. This girl does it the right way and she's definitely a woman of Kefi.

Sincerely,

Cybill

No comments:

Post a Comment