Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A Lesson In...The Bigger Picture

St. George Island, Florida | January 2012

"Patience child, patience. Remember, life is a journey. If you got everything you wanted all at once there'd be no point to living. Enjoy the ride, and in the end you'll see these 'set backs' as giant leaps forward, only you couldn't see the bigger picture in the moment. Remain clam, all is within reach; all you have to do is show up everyday, stay true to your path and you will surely find the treasure you seek." 
-- Jackson Kiddard

My friend, Vassi, and I seem to have a reoccurring conversation, and more often than not, we're brought to the topic of our anxiety for the unknown and our expectations for our future. Like most girls, we've daydreamed about our future weddings, how our husbands' would look and the names of our children. But we're also concerned with our careers, the path we're taking and whether what we're doing right now, is what we're suppose to be doing. 

Looking back as we work our way through our twenties, it's plain to see our lives have been mapped out until now. In elementary school, we knew high school would be when we felt the freedom at came with earning a driver's license. In high school, we knew college would bring freedom of being on our own. However, now that college is behind us, we've asked each other, "What's next?" "What now?"

For some, the road they drive along and the path they follow means graduate school. Right now, Vassi is in medical school, however, I am on a road to what I hope will be an inspiring career in Public Relations. Yet, I'm still left with doubt.

Not too long ago I found myself sitting at my desk questioning, "Is that what I really want to do?" Right off the bat, I knew that was bad sign. It's one thing to be uninspired and it's another to be uninspired and doubtful. Thus, not too long after, I said my goodbyes and left New York City to return home. 

Surrounded by family and friends, blanketed by the warmth of the Florida sunshine, I got a good dose of words that I needed and wanted to hear. I'm also getting a good dose in the lesson of patience and traveling the journey of life.

The set back of being unemployed is unfortunate and I would never wish that burden on anyone. But just as Jackson Kiddard says these "sets backs" are giant leaps forward, and I'm learning just that. While where I am right now isn't where I had hoped to be, what I've done leading up to this moment, to today, they're things I've always wanted to do.

I was able to travel to Hawaii and New Zealand. I got to fly Business Class (it's nice how the other half flies, by the way). I got to see family I haven't seen in ten years and meet a cousin I had never met!

In terms of the bigger picture, these are the strokes I want to paint, these are the colors I want to use, and I hope, as I continue down this path, it'll be a picture I'll be proud to call my life.

What "set backs" have turned out to be beautiful strokes in your bigger picture?

Sincerely,

Cybill 

No comments:

Post a Comment