Wednesday, October 23, 2013

30 Is The New 20, So They Said

Today, I woke up to a Facebook message from a friend of mine. With her best intentions, she sent me a link to a talk Meg Jay, a clinical psychologist, gave at TED earlier this year. In her talk, she defined the importance of your 20s and as I found it fitting for this blog, so I had a share.



While I'm sure Meg had every intention to inspire 20-somethings to capitalize on where they are in life (and I'm sure she did just that), I'm not going to lie, I was a little taken aback, not necessarily in what she was saying, but the gravity of it. I mean, it really does make sense. Your 20s, our 20s, they are important. They're stepping stones into what will hopefully be a beautiful life.

Yes, we may take a few side steps. If you're like me, you make even feel like you've taken a step back, but that's the beauty of it, right? You're turning it into a dance and that dance becomes your 20s. And all of this heart ache and all of the disappointment builds you to be stronger and wiser. It becomes your "developmental sweet-spot," that we should really understand and capitalize. It isn't about trying on different hats not for the sake of saying you did it, but perhaps, it's more like trying on different hats in order to find that hat that best fits you, to find the hat that was made to fit you.

Sincerely,

Cybill

No comments:

Post a Comment