Friday, October 18, 2013

A Floridian Autumn & Halloween Tradition


While in other corners of the county, boys and girls alike are embracing the autumn chill, here in south Florida, I'm embracing the shorts and t-shirt weather. Temperatures are stagnant in the 80s, the sun's heat isn't letting up and the trees strongly cling to their vibrant green.

My cousins living in the north have expressed sympathy, and they claim I've missed out on the bounty of vibrantly colorful leaves and the fashions of the fall. While a cloud of melancholy may settle in if I lingered too long on this small fact of life, I refuse to trade my autumn traditions, especially one tradition I share with my friends from college.

I'm not sure how the tradition started, much less became a time-honored tradition, but come October, my friends and I make it a point to settle down and watch the classic Halloween-time movie, Hocus Pocus. We also delight in an unhealthy amount of Halloween candy, ice cream and baked goods. In short, sugar is every food group and every course that evening.


Aside from enjoying every kids dream dinner there's the great company. There is something special about sitting around a living room with a bunch of friends, enjoying a movie from the 90s. However, this year will be a little different.

Since graduating from college, sitting around a television to watch Hocus Pocus has proved to be a bit of a challenge. Last year, we were able to have a go at it when we returned to Tallahassee for Homecoming. However, this year we'll have to take a different route, if we take it all. Some of us may watch it alone, some of us may watch it with family and some of us may watch it with new friends.

Regardless of how we may watch it, it'll always bring me back to October nights in Tallahassee and a Floridian kind of autumn, where our trees are still green and we're probably wearing shorts and flip-flops. Nonetheless, do the colors of the leaves and a chill in the air really make the season? If you ask me, I'd say it's just a detail to the frame, and the picture, a picture of great friends and sweet treats, are what really matters!

Sincerely,

Cybill

No comments:

Post a Comment